Thursday, March 5, 2009

The Libertarian View

Let me just state that I'm nonpartisan towards any kind of politics. The names are but easy labels for defining others, not me. I have views towards various public policy but only as it impacts people.

I was surrounded by a whole bunch of self-acknowledged libertarians last night. Talking to them, I discovered that they believed that people should be or are to be socially responsible and also have the freedom to do whatever they want in their lives. Today I see this article in the news about "authorities" handing out money to people who have chosen not to make provisions for emergencies or disasters in fire prone areas. They have the freedom to not provision emergency funds for themselves and they have exercised such a freedom. The problem as far as I can see, is that everyone who clamours for personal freedoms do not address how, by exercising their freedoms, affect others as well. I have yet to hear good reasons from any of these libertarians why, for example, younger people should be paying for the older (unrelated) people's pensions when these people should be making provisions for their old age. If you believe in personal freedoms so much, then you should also believe that a person should suffer the full consequences of whatever actions they should choose to take.

No comments: